48th Birthday Tribute To Linus Torvalds, The Brain Behind The Linux
Linus celebrated his 48th birthday on 28th December. A very happy belated birthday to Linus and the LinuxAndUbuntu.com wishes him for many more years of continuous technological innovations. On this occasion, let us put focus on the things that inspired Linus to create Linux along with interesting titbits.
Hello, everybody out there using minix-
I’m doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won’t be big and professional like gnu) for 386 (486) AT clones. This has been brewing since April, and is starting to get ready. I’d like any feedback on things people like or dislike in MINIX, as my OS resembles it somewhat (same physical layout of the file-system due to practical reasons) among other things.
I’ve currently ported bash (1.08) and GCC (1.40), and things seem to work. This implies that I’ll get something practical within a few months, and I’d like to know what features most people want.
Any suggestions are welcome, but I won’t promise I’ll implement them.
Linus Torvalds firstname.lastname@example.org
Linus is currently living in Oregon, US and continuing to remain as the ultimate authority on world’s biggest co-operative open-source project – The Linux kernel.
- Linus’ full name is Linus Benedict Torvalds.
- As Finland was part of Sweden, Linus grew ups speaking Swedish language.
- Linus interested in science fiction literature at age of 11 and that’s how he introduced to English language.
- Linus’ parents and sister are journalists. Linus calls himself black sheep.
- Linus named after Linus Pauling, a noble prize winner
- Linus initially wrote gaming programs.
- Linux learned BASIC and assembly languages initially.
- Linus received his M.Sc. degree in Computer science from the University of Helsinki. And received an honorary doctorate from Stockholm University.
- Linus bought his first computer in 1998 called Sinclair QL.
- The Andrew S Tanenbaum-Torvalds debate is famous for their argument about microkernels vs monolithic kernels.
- When Linus is not doing anything, he still sits inform of the computer.
- Linus said that his maths teacher in high school influenced him than the professors at the University of Helsinki.
- Linus’ wife Tove Torvalds was a Karate expert.
- Linus likes scuba diving. Even he created free open-source software called Subsurface for logging planning for scuba dives!
- In 1996, an asteroid is named with “9793 Torvalds”.
- In 2005, Linus came up with a new distributed source code control tools called Git after facing licensing issues with BitKeeper.
- Eric S Raymond formulated Linus’s law about software development named in honor of Linux Torvalds.
- RedHat and VA Linux offered Linus with stock options in gratitude for this commendable work.
- In 2012, Millennium Technology Prize (This award is widely described equivalent to Noble prize in technology
- Linus is the recipient of 2014 IEEE Computer Society Computer Pioneer Award
- The University of Helsinki has named an auditorium after Linus Torvalds.
- In 2010, Linus became a US citizen.
- Torvalds owns the Linux trademark (penguin).
- The Linux-based Android operating system dominates the smartphone market.
- There is a rumor that Steve Jobs tried to hire Linus to work on OS/2.
- Linus uses Google+