CentOS Vs. Ubuntu
On this article we will talk about the two big Linux Distributions, actually, it will be the difference between one another, where one is better than another and other features.
In June 2006 TAO Linux, another RHEL clone developed by David Parsley announced the retirement of TAO Linux and it’s rolling into development of CentOS. His migration to CentOS didn’t affect his previous users (TAO users), as they were able to migrate just by upgrading their system using yum update.
In January 2014 Red Hat started sponsoring CentOS Project transferring the ownership and trademarks to it.
This new packaging system allows applications to be delivered with all dependencies satisfied.
- While ubuntu is based on Debian, CentOS is based on RHEL;
- Ubuntu uses .deb and .snap packages and centOS uses .rpm and flatpak;
- Ubuntu uses apt for updates while centOS uses YUM;
- CentOS seems to be more stable because doesn’t have regular updates to their packages like ubuntu but, this doesn’t mean that ubuntu is less secure;
- Ubuntu has more documentation and free support for problem solving and information;
- Ubuntu Server version has more support for cloud and container deployments.