OwnCloud is a free and open source program to create your own cloud and synchronize files. Owncloud is for anyone including large enterprises to a small company or home. Owncloud is a feature-rich, secure and handy synchronization tool for your servers.
Owncloud provides cloud storage over the network, data can be uploaded via a web browser or using client. Data will be stored on the server and can be accessed any time with browser or desktop client or smartphone app. The project is based on PHP and an SQLite, MySQL, Oracle or PostgreSQL database, so it can be run on all platforms that meet these requirements. It provides almost all possibility of functions that are available on commercial suites; it is released under AGPLv3 license, so you can set up own cloud storage server without any additional cost. You’ve commercial version also available.
The following are the list of features available on ownCloud.
- File storage in conventional directory structures
- Synchronization of data with the desktop, web client or mobile app.
- Calendar (also as CalDAV)
- Task Scheduler
- Address book (also as CardDAV)
- Music streaming (through Apache)
- User and group administration (via OpenID or LDAP)
- Sharing of content across groups or public URLs
- Online text editor with syntax highlighting and code folding
- URL shortening Suite
- Photo gallery
- PDF viewer (using pdf.js)
- Viewer for ODF Files (.odt, .odp, .ods)
wget http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/isv:ownCloud:community/xUbuntu_14.10/Release.key sudo apt-key add - < Release.key sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/isv:/ownCloud:/community/xUbuntu_14.10/ /' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/owncloud.list" Update the repository. sudo apt-get update Install ownCloud. sudo apt-get install owncloud
You would be asked to create an administrative password for MySQL
mysql -u root -p
Create database called “clouddb”