LMMS Guide Part 2: Tempo, Time Signatures, Beats and Bass Lines
Tempo and Time Signatures
The time signature is a very important part of the song. It determines the rhythm of the song, that is, whether there are four beats per bar (4/4 time), three beats per bar (¾ time), and so on. The “TIME SIG” control at the top shows the signature for the whole piece. You should decide what time signature you want before you start because changing it will affect the rhythm of the whole project.
You may also wish to change the overall volume of the entire project using the “Master Volume” control.You can change any of those fields using your scroll wheel on your mouse, or by double-clicking on the control to enter a specific number.
Experimenting With Drum Lines
Now let’s try and experiment with the controls.
- Change the tempo to 165.
- Change the time signature to ¾ time.
- Open the “My Samples” tab and open up “drums”.
- Double click the following drum sounds to add to the Beat+Bassline Editor
- Press the “Add Steps” button twice to make the beat line span 3 bars.
- Either create the drum roll below, or experiment by creating your own.
On the song editor, you can increase the length of the drum roll however you wish:
Remember, the key piece is in G major. Use F# whenever you see the F notes. The next tutorial will explore chords, keys and an introduction of a couple of other features such as the “FM Mixer”.