Subsonic 5.1 Media Streamer Released, Install in Ubuntu/Linux Mint
- Listen to your music from anywhere – all you need is a browser.
- The clean web interface is optimized for constrained bandwidth environments and efficient browsing through large music collections (hundreds of gigabytes).
- Free-text search helps you find your favorite tracks quickly.
- Displays cover art, including images embedded in ID3 tags.
To see all the features visit the official website.
How to install Subsonic 5.1 in Ubuntu/Linux Mint
- First, install Java:
sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre
- The official website provides .deb file. To download click the download button below –
- Open Subsonic file in Software Center and click on install.
- Click ignore and install when the following popups –
- Note that the installer configures your system to start Subsonic automatically when booting. After installing, open the Subsonic web page on http://localhost:4040.
By default, the Subsonic process is run as the root user. To improve security it is strongly advised that you run it as a dedicated user with less powerful privileges. You can specify this user by setting the SUBSONIC_USER variable in /etc/sysconfig/subsonic.
Note that non-root users are by default not allowed to use ports below 1024. Also make sure to grant the user write permissions in the music directories, otherwise changing album art and tags will fail.
Advanced configuration to change the port number, Java memory settings or other startup parameters, edit the SUBSONIC_ARGS variable in /etc/sysconfig/subsonic. To restart Subsonic, do
sudo service subsonic restart
TroubleshootingCheck the logs in /var/subsonic.