VLC is already a must have apps on desktop on mobile both. The release VLC 2.2.0 release contains over a thousand bug fixes that have made VLC even more stable and useful.
Below is the official Changelog?
- Fight the popular vertical video syndrome! VLC automatically detects rotated videos and rotates them using hardware acceleration (on compatible platforms)!
- This is supported for MP4/MOV, MKV and raw H264.
- Resume playback where you left off. Supported on all the mobile versions of VLC for quite some time, it is now available on the desktop.
- Vastly improved support for UltraHD video codecs like VP9 and H265, including encoding.
- New hardware acceleration mechanism, GPU 0-copy decoding, faster and implementations for Linux, Android, and Raspberry Pi. (Other OSes will have it in 3.0.0)
- Extensions: supported since a long time, we now feature an in-app downloader for the desktop, like Firefox
- Subtitles downloading extension
- Compatibility with a very large number of unusual codecs
- Vastly improved compatibility for problematic files in Ogg, MP4, and WMV.
- Support for Digital Cinema Package to play native movie theater formats.
- Experimental support of Interactive Menus of BluRays: BD-J
- On OS X, we’ve updated the interface for Yosemite compatibility.
- On Android, we rewrote most of the UI to match Google Material Design.
- This is the first public beta releases for Windows Phone, Windows RT and Android TV.
- It is also the first non-beta release on Android.
This is made possible through a lot of improvements of the VLC engine, the libVLC library, which starts showing its maturity and solidity.
Therefore, today, we release:
- VLC media player 2.2.0
- VLC for iOS 2.4.1
- VLC for Android 1.1.0
- VLC for Android TV 1.1.0
- VLC for WinRT 1.1.0
- VLC for Windows RT 1.1.0 Beta
- VLC for Windows Phone 1.1.0 Beta
The release, WeatherWax, is available in Software Center in Ubuntu 14.04 and 15.04. You can also install from ppa.
- Type the following commands in terminal to add ppa to your system.
- Now update your system and Install VLC 2.2.0.