Features Introduced In Ubuntu 15.04
Systemd One of the major changes in Ubuntu 15.04 is that the default init system, upstart has been replaced with systemd. With that change, there is an improvement in boot speed. I felt the OS booted faster than before with upstart.
Although there is an option to boot system with upstart in GRUB and it is for in case any user faces trouble with systemd so he can select upstart to boot system.
More Unity & Compiz Changes
- A configuration option to have menus displayed at all times instead of only on mouseover.
- Enable the Dash, HUD, or logout dialogs over fullscreen windows.
- Tweaks to animations for faster startup and shutdown experiences.
- Fixes for various problems that occur only with the nVidia proprietary driver (mostly blank or black windows) (thanks nVidia).
- Full integrated support for the MATE desktop on a par with Gnome2 and Unity
- Refresh of the gtk-window-decorator for Gnome2 support
Linux Kernel 3.19
Many packages installed by default on Ubuntu have been updated to the latest packages available. And the updated packages include –
- LibreOffice 4.4
- Firefox 37
- Thunderbird 31.6
- Shotwell 0.20.2
- Nautilus 3.14.2
- Evince 3.14.2
- Rhythmbox 3.1
- Totem 3.14.1
- GNOME Terminal 3.14