Material Design Inspired Paper Theme For Ubuntu
Paper is a material design inspired modern desktop theme suit. Designed by Sam Hewitt, the paper theme provides clear desktop GUI experience with flat icons accompanied by light shadows. The menu lists, options, etc resembles the design that we have seen in vanilla android Lollipop and Marshmallow. Paper theme desktop suit currently works on Ubuntu and its derivatives.
Paper theme is supported by most of the popular desktop environment like unity, GTK 2.X, GTK 3.X, Pantheon, Budgie, etc. To tweak your ubuntu desktop environment to Paper theme, you need to install the theme pack, icon pack, and unity tweak tool. The theme is supported by Ubuntu 12.04 and higher versions. The theme is in active development, it means in case you find any bug/issue you can raise bug ticket on GitHub and get it fixed by the developer. (Link: https://github.com/snwh/paper-gtk-theme)Link to site: https://snwh.org/paper
How To Install Paper Theme In Ubuntu
Open terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) and type in the following commands –
sudo apt-get install unity-tweak-tool
Docky is a full-fledged dock application that makes opening common applications and managing windows easier and quicker. Type in the following command to install docky –
sudo apt-get install docky
Setting up a theme
- Open Unity tweak tool from the search bar.
- Under theAppearance section (third row), select Theme.
- Select Paper from the list.
- Now select icons tab. Select Paper from list.
- Next under cursor section select Paper from list.
Following are screenshots for the help –
Following are the screenshots of the theme –
Here is what we feel about the theme.
- As of the current status, the theme has one known common issue of highlighted text. While renaming a folder, the highlighted text is white which matches with background and hence is not visible
Note: the issue is already open on Github development branch and will be fixed soon.
- The window control buttons ( close, maximize and minimize)has no highlighting color. It would have been good if the highlight color was present.
- If you love clean and flat design it is a good choice for the desktop environment. The base colors are cold so beneficial for the long term desktop users.