How To Install WordPress – Step by Step Guide
WordPress is a free and Open Source blogging tool and the most popular content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL.
It is super easy with features to include a plugin architecture and a template system to create a WordPress blog/website up and running in no time.
WordPress is Open Source and most popular Content Management System (CMS). It was used by more than 34.1% of the top 10 million websites as of April 2019. It is the most popular blogging system in use on the Web, at more than 60 million websites.
So if you want to create a blog or website, then WordPress is a good choice for you.
How to install WordPress
- The latest version of WordPress from wordpress.org
- Web hosting with cPanel
- An FTP client (We will use FileZilla in this tutorial)
Are you confused in wordpress.com and wordpress.org? Clear your confusions.
Download WordPress from wordpress.org
- First of all download the .zip file of WordPress from wordpress.org. The version at the time I’m writing this blog is 4.1 which is something 6.4MB.
- After you have downloaded WordPress .zip file unzip/extract it somewhere on your computer (for ease extract it on desktop).
- Now login to your web hosting services and open cPanel. Here we’ll host our WordPress files .zip that we have just extracted. So login to your domain name or create a new one if you don’t have already.
- After you’ve created domain login to it and create a MySQL database.
- In your cPanel like the above search for MySQL database and click to get similar fields like below. Fill out the database name, user name, and passwords of your MySQL database and note down all information.
- Database creation is done. Now upload the WordPress files that we extracted on our desktop. [that we extracted here]
- We need an FTP client to upload WordPress files. Here I am using FileZilla, a free FTP client.
you can download an older version of FileZilla from Software Center
- After you have installed FileZilla FTP client, connect to the web hosting. Enter your host and user name (that we created here) and the password of your MySQL database (that we created here). Done! You’re now connected to your database.
- Now drag the WordPress folder content (that we extracted here) to your web server database in the folder named ‘public-html’ and wait for the files to upload.
- You’ve all done setting up your file. Now it’s time to set up WordPress. Open up the web browser and type in URL bar ‘yourdomain.com/wp-admin’ (the domain that we created here)
- Then you will see a screen like this –
- Select your language.
- Click let’s go to enter MySQL database info (that we created here).
- After you click submit you’ll see this message and click Run the install.
- Fill out title of your site/blog and your desired username and password and email id. This username and pass will be used to login to your WordPress dashboard to manage sites/blog.
- Click Install WordPress and you’re done! You’ve installed And setup WordPress on your web hosting server.
- Now to access your dashboard. Type in the URL bar
- Enter the username and password that we just created [that we created here].
Congratulation! You’re in your dashboard.
Manage your blog create posts and so on… WordPress is full of features and hundreds of plugins and themes. Enjoy blogging with the most popular CMS.
Our sponsor - Deploy your server within 3 minutes